Antivirus / Antimalware Program Removal Tools
When you uninstall many programs, not everything that was installed gets removed, and most antivirus programs are no exception. However having parts of an antivirus program lingering on your system sometimes can be more detrimental than other applications. That’s why most antivirus software manufacturers produce tools specifically designed to remove the remnants left behind by their normal uninstallers. Here are links to removal programs for some of the more popular antivirus programs. In all cases you should run the normal uninstall from Control Panel / Add Remove Programs (Win XP) or Control Panel / Programs and Features (Vista/7/8) before running any of these removal tools.
- Avast Removal Tool – As of 02/19/15, Avast appears to have just one removal tool that covers all its products.
- AVG Removal Tools – Two of the first three items in the list. As of 02/19/15, AVG appears to have three different removal tools, one each for their 32 and 64-bit versions, and one for their Identity Protection module. Scroll down to the list of items available for download. You’ll need the ID Protection remover, and one of the other two depending on which you have installed.
- Malwarebytes Removal Tool – This is a direct link to the download. As of 02/19/15, according to their site, all you need to do is download this file, run it, then reboot when it prompts you.
- McAfee Removal Tool – Here is a direct link to the download. Please follow their instructions here.
- Norton Removal Tool – Here is a direct link to the download. Please follow their instructions here.