Migrating Your idComm Mail
Migrating Your Mail to the New Server
After the server move is complete and you see the new login screen if you go to http://webmail.idcomm.com, you may wish to migrate what you have on the old server to the new one. If the following applies to you, you should not need to migrate your mail from the old server to the new.
- You do not read email with mobile devices, AND…
- You use an email program like MS Outlook or Thunderbird, AND…
- Your email program uses the POP protocol, which retrieves a copy of all mail to your computer.
If any of the following conditions apply to you, you will want to migrate your mail from the old server to the new.
- You do read mail with mobile devices, OR…
- Your email program uses the IMAP protocol, which reads mail directly on the server, OR…
- You’re one of the few who use webmail as your only email program.
Fortunately SmarterMail, the mail server software in use on the other server, makes this an easy process. To migrate what you have on the server from the old to the new, please follow the instructions below. To facilitate mail migration, the old server will remain online for 30 days after the move
PLEASE NOTE: After reading the instructions below if you do not feel comfortable migrating your email yourself, we can do it for you. We can’t do it for free, but we can do it for our minimum tech support charge of just $15.
Before beginning a mailbox migration we strongly suggest that you login to SquirrelMail on the old server, create a folder called Retrieved, and move mail from your inbox that has been read/retrieved into this folder. This will help to prevent your email program from downloading duplicate messages from the new server. If you’re not sure how to do this, click here for instructions.
To migrate your email from the old idComm server to the new…
- Login to the new webmail at http://webmail.idcomm.com/ using your full idComm email address and password. By the time you do your migration, this web address should point to the new server, and you should see a login screen that looks like this…
- Go to Settings (gear icon, far left dark gray column)
- Expand Advanced Settings by clicking the “+”
- Click Mailbox Migration
- For Account Type select Other, then click Next
- For Import Items check Email and click Next
- Enter the following Account Settings
- Type: IMAP
- Server Address: 220.127.116.11
- Port: 143
- Username: THIS IS YOUR FULL IDCOMM EMAIL ADDRESS
- Password: THIS IS YOUR IDCOMM EMAIL PASSWORD
- Requires SSL: NOT checked
- Click Test Connection, and you should get a green stripe across the top of the window saying that the text was successful. If not, there must be a typo or you could have entered the wrong password.
- Once you get a successful connection test, click Next.
- Note what the next page is telling you, then click Start.
Once started, you can close the migration window using the red X at the top right corner, and the migration will continue in the background. Migration time will vary depending on how much email you have on the server. To check its progress, log back into your webmail at http://webmail.idcomm.com/. On the left go to Settings (the gears) / Advanced / Mailbox Migration, and it should show you how far along it is. If you check and it’s back to the Account Type screen, the migration has finished.
When the migration is finished, you may need to logout and log back in to see the refreshed view. The folders from the old server will be “inside” the Inbox folder in your new webmail similar to the images below. There should be a plus sign just to the left of Inbox. Clicking this plus sign should reveal the imported folders.
Now that you’ve migrated your email from the old to the new server, you’re ready to move your address book if you have one on the old server.